Marital Status: Married
Church: Lakewood Church – Houston, Texas
College Status: Studied radio and television communications at Oral Roberts University, but did not graduate.
Seminary: No seminary
Career: Joel Osteen was encouraged by his father, John Osteen, many times to preach, but Joel refused. Joel wanted to stay behind the scenes for many years. On January 13, 1999, he changed his mind and preached his first sermon. Almost a week later, his father died from a heart attack. Two weeks after his death, Joel started to preach regularly. The church attendance grew drastically. In 2003, Lakewood Church obtained the Compaq Center, the former home of the NBA Houston Rockets. There was $105 million dollars put in for renovations.
What does he preach about?:
Joel Osteen is all about you. Joel always wants you to be a better you. He has always expressed prosperity and that’s why Joel is a perfect example of prosperity gospel. He has written many books about you having a better life.
In a interview with Oprah he showed many of his true colors. He was faced with many basic questions.
Oprah: How would you explain God to a non-believer?
Joel: I would explain God as a creator, a heavenly father of someone that wants to be in a relationship with you. As someone for you, as a friend.
Oprah: Ok here’s the big question for you, are there many paths to get to the one God?
Joel: Well I believe Oprah that there are, I believe that Jesus is the way into the one God, but I believe there are many ways to Jesus. And you know, you don’t know how Jesus would reveal himself to somebody. So I’m not into excluding people. Jesus can reveal himself to anybody.
Oprah: So does that mean that all people, all races obviously in your church, we see all races. I cant imagine that you would have 16,000 people in there and none of them would be gay, so are gay people also included.
Joel: Absolutely, anybody is. You know Oprah, we sometimes make a, I say we, maybe the Christian community makes a big deal out of being gay.
Oprah: Will a gay person be accepted into heaven, as you see it?
Joel: Well I believe they will. Well I believe, you know, that we that, you have to have forgiveness for your sins. But I believe we look at gays being a bigger sin then being proud or not telling the truth. But I don’t believe God categorizes sins, I believe we are all changing and to think we are all going to be without one sin, I hope that’s true, but I don’t think any of us would make it into heaven. Now I would be willing to encourage people to change and grow and you know if you have a problem with your temper keep growing but I think its going to be open for all of us or we wouldn’t have a chance.
Wow. So much corruption is in this its unreal. Lets dissect it, shall we?
- God is a friend for you, even if your a non-believer. Joel states simply that God is there for you, if you are a non-believer. That is wrong. The only way to the God is through Jesus Christ. John 14:6 – Jesus answered, “I am the way, and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” Jesus states you must be in a relationship with him, to know God. This idea that Joel Osteen is talking about, is universalism. “Everyone can go to God.” That is a liberal and dangerous doctrine.
- There are many ways to Jesus. What are the ways Joel? All I know is, Jesus calling you and you accept him. Isaiah 43:1 – By now, this is what the Lord says – he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.” Universalism again.
- Gays are accepted in his church. This is a super controversial one, but bear with me. The church is made up of sinners yes, but sinners who repent and try to not sin. The church is made up of God’s people. Now, lets say if you are openly gay and do not repent, that is a problem. Under no circumstance must we treat anybody differently because of their homosexuality but we must be able to say it is wrong. Now, I would argue that if you accept someone into the church that continues to go against Scripture and doesn’t repent, than that’s wrong. Mathew 18:15-17 – If your brother or sister sins, go and point our their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two to others along, so that every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
- Gays are accepted into heaven. To simply state it, if you do not repent from your sins to Jesus Christ, you will not be forgiven and receive salvation. Luke 5:31-32 – Jesus answered them “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”
- Change and grow. I honestly don’t see where he is trying to get to. Prayer and studying in God’s word, will change you for the good. But he didn’t mention any of that.
- Heaven is open or we don’t have a chance. Boom, this shows his true colors. We have a chance and that is Jesus Christ. John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes I him shall not perish but have everlasting life. The biggest problem I see in Joel Osteen, is him not saying the Gospel. The Good News is that we are wretched sinners but our God loved us so much that he sent his only son to die for us.
Where does he get his money?:
Joel Osteen claims he gets no salary from the church, he says he gets it from his sales on his books. Interesting…what does he write about? YOU! He writes about you and having a better life! Here are a list of his books.
- Your Best Life Now
- Hope for Today Bible
- Become a Better You
- Starting Your Best Life Now
- Think Better, Live Better
- The Power of I Am Journel
Those are just a few. See anything in common?
Joel Osteen is a conman. There I said it. He feeds millions of people lies and false hope and in return he gets millions of dollars. He always focuses on yourself and not Jesus Christ. He’s a salesman. Jesus Christ should be our focus and only focus. We are called to give our life to him. He is the face of watered-down Christianity.
How should we respond to him?:
We should respond to him with love first and rebuke second. 1 Corinthians 6:14 – Do everything in love. Joel Osteen is lost. He is leading people the wrong way. We cant let him do this. We must speak out and rebuke. Believers I hope you learned and have a good stance against this false teacher. I started this series to give you a good stance against false teachers. Brothers and sisters, false teachers are rising and if we aren’t rooted in Christ we will fall. I pray that this series will prepare you and give you wisdom to further the kingdom of God. We must stand strong.